Getting home shouldn’t be a luxury.
CASS is working hard to bring RightRides, which started in 2004 in New York City, to Washington, DC. CASS’s RightRides DC program will provide free, safe, and late night ride to women and LGBTQ individuals. These are populations that CASS recognizes often lack extra funds for taxis and for whom walking home or taking public transportation alone late at night is particularly dangerous. RightRides DC will organize volunteer drivers and navigators to operate a fleet of cars donated by a car-sharing program. Driving teams will provide riders with a safe ride home (not to parties or bars).
RightRide’s motto is “Getting home shouldn’t be a luxury.” This assertion couldn’t be more true. RightRidesDC would offer the kind of positive, proactive response to sexual violence DC needs.
Want to to see RightRides in DC? We need your help.
RightRides In the News
- Survey: 17 Percent of Respondents ‘Hardly Ever’ Feel Safe Using Public Transportation Alone, DCist, 6/11/1
- Free Car Service For DC Area Women Late At Night, WUSA9, 6/11/13
- D.C. taxis struggle with passenger, driver safety, WTOP, 6/11/13
- D.C. taxi regulators lack safety statistics, The Examiner, 6/5/13
- Taxi drivers, passengers agree more safety measures are needed, Washington Times, 6/5/13
- D.C. Council addresses taxicab safety, WJLA ABC 7, 6/5/13
- Woman Raped by Uber Cabdriver: From New Delhi to DC, We Need Solutions to End #VAW, Fem2pt0, 1/25/13