Safe Bars, a project of Collective Action for Safe Spaces (CASS) and Defend Yourself, trains and empowers staff at alcohol-serving establishments to recognize and respond to incidents of sexual harassment and assault among staff and patrons by using innovative bystander education and self-defense strategies.
Safe Bars works to:
- Increase bar staff understanding of the scope and causes of unwanted sexual aggression;
- Increase bar staff recognition of inappropriate behavior along the continuum of sexual and relationship violence;
- Provide bar staff with the skills needed to respond to such behavior safely and appropriately, whether by stepping in as a bystander or when asked for help;
- Share with bar patrons safety messages that encourage respect and lets customers know that bar staff are available for help;
- Actively promote bars that adopt safety standards;
- Award “Safe Bar” certification to bars that complete the training.