CASS is looking for great people to join our board of directors! Do you have a passion for social justice and a drive to build a safer DC? Interested in helping to manage a unique community-based organization working to find solutions to one of the most prevalent forms of gender-based violence? Apply today! See below for application details.
The Short Version:
Collective Action for Safe Spaces (CASS), a community-based organization that aims to empower the DC metropolitan area to build a community free from public sexual harassment and assault, is looking for fantastic new people from the community to join its Board of Directors. The Board plays a critical governance role within the organization, deciding on priorities in programming and fundraising, and keeping the organization accountable to our values.
During this round of recruiting, we are specifically seeking to bring on a Board member who will serve as Board Treasurer. We encourage applications or inquiries from individuals who are interested in learning more about the role. CASS is committed to providing the new Board Treasurer with the resources and guidance to succeed.
Interested applicants living in the Washington, DC, area should fill out the application by Monday, August 28, 2017. We’ll be in touch!
This is an exciting opportunity for passionate individuals looking to meet dedicated social justice activists and make a difference in the DC metropolitan area. If you have some or all of the following qualities, you would be a great Board member:
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- An expertise in community development to DMV neighborhoods – in particular communities of Washington, DC’s wards 5, 7, and 8.
- An interest in connecting with networks of DC area citizens leading in the areas of transportation, justice, small business, and urban development.
- A background in finance, budgeting, bookkeeping, or non-profit management.
- A willingness to make a meaningful time commitment to CASS.
- A sense of humor.
Board member responsibilities include:
- Providing strategic guidance on CASS’s fundraising efforts, programming, and budgetary decisions.
- Overseeing compliance with organizational policies and bylaws.
- Raising awareness about CASS within your networks and communities by spreading the word about our work.
- Creating and implementing a personal fundraising plan, and giving at a personally meaningful level to support the work of the organization.
- Attending bi-monthly Board meetings and an annual Board retreat.
- Keeping staff, fellow Board members, and yourself accountable to the communities we serve and the values of the organization.
Treasurer responsibilities include:
- Preparing annual and mid-year budgets in coordination with executive director.
- Tracking all revenue and expenses in accounting software and keep budget up-to-date, reconcile with accountant.
- Working with accountant to answer questions and regularly provide information about categorizing expenses through monthly calls with accountant and executive director.
- Monitoring bank account to ensure adequate cash reserves.
- Checking PO Box and depositing checks.
The Treasurer is supported by a Board Finance Committee. The Committee’s responsibilities include coordinating regular meetings and monitoring that the Executive Director has adequate support; maintaining records of deposits, payroll statements, financial statements from accountant, and receipts (as appropriate); ensuring compliance with finance procedures.
How to apply:
Please fill out the application form and send a copy of your resume to email@example.com by Monday, August 28, 2017. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, those living in underrepresented wards and areas, and LGBTQGNC-identifying people are strongly encouraged to apply.