We asked you what you wanted us to focus on in 2016, and you said *drumroll please…* Safe Bars!
We’ve heard from more than 50 people who have experienced harassment in DC bars and nightclubs this year, and we’ve responded by partnering with Defend Yourself to develop the Safe Bars training program. Safe Bars equips bar staff with the skills to intervene and prevent sexual harassment and assault in alcohol-serving establishments where people — and overwhelmingly women (90%!) — are at high risk.
We want to raise $11,300 for Safe Bars on #GivingTuesday. Are you ready?
Here are FOUR great ways to get involved:
- Mark your calendar for Tuesday, December 1, and pledge to give.
- Fundraise for us! Here’s how:
- Create your fundraising page. Visit our #RaisetheBar campaign page on Razoo, and hit the “Fundraise” button under “Join This Team!”
- Come up with a gimmick. Can you run a mile for every hundred dollars your friends give? Or maybe you’ll send embarrassing Christmas cards to everyone who donates to your page? Get creative!
- Set a goal, and get yourself started with your own personal gift on December 1.
- Ask your friends to give!
- Use our hashtag on #GivingTuesday to share why you want to #RaisetheBar to make safety a priority for DC nightlife.
- Join us for happy hour on #GivingTuesday to celebrate, raise more money, and check out adorable cat photos (fighting catcalls, of course).
So are you ready for December 1? We are!