Disgusting.

A man on the metro was wearing a shirt that said “I support single mothers” and in the middle were pictures of strippers sliding around a pole. You know, I am for free speech and clearly he was wearing this shirt for a reaction. I can’t tell him to take it off, but I did stare at in disbelief. Mostly in the, “omg does he think a woman will want to go home with him while he wears that shirt?” kind of reaction.

The guy and his friend saw me reading it and asked what my problem was. I replied that my mother was a single mom for 9+ years and I simply found his shirt disgusting. His right to wear it… but when you ask me my opinion I am going to give it to you! He told me to get a life and called me a bitch and said other rude things about me under his breath. You know what, I don’t care what he said though. I felt like I stood up for my mother and the other single moms who busted their asses to raise children without a man or other partner in th e picture. If he wants to joke about that fine, but other women are going to call him out on it and I hope he learned something. The train came and I told him he was an asshole and how dare he say rude things to a young girl who was standing up for her mother and the other single moms out there who had the hard job of raising children without the support of a partner.

Submitted by KB

Location: Mt. Vernon Square

Time of harassment: Late Night (12A-5A)

Do you have a personal experience with gender-based public sexual harassment or assault you would like to submit? Just click here and fill out the online submission form. All submissions are posted anonymously unless you specify.

Good for you for standing up for yourself and for single mothers! This guy’s a loser with a capital L.

2. Nigerian Sista

Good job, serves him right and you identified him exactly as what he is by telling him he’s an asshole. People like that are the reason I haven’t taken the train in over a year! Random foolishness and such. For him to make such a joke of a very serious situation such as that in this country is a disgrace and he’s not a man. The sad thing, his mother may have been a single mother herself, and here he goes.

3. cathy

people who wear shirts to get attention shouldn’t call someone else a bitch when they get that attention. what an idiot. good for you.

4. E.

Yeah, something tells me this isn’t an unbiased or accurate telling of the story.

5. E.

Formerly living in an area with a bunch of fratty white guys with offensive shirts, I have some experience in this department in the controversial garb department.

80% of the time in my experience, it’s the offended party confronting the shirt wearer. The poster claims she was just “reading” his shirt, but yeah, right. And the guy happens to pick a fight for no reason?

Here’s what probably really happened: Offended party confronted the shirt-wearer (in which case, this altercation is her fault) OR she “read” the shirt in a really obvious way (exasperated sighs while mean mugging the guy and staring at his chest).

Yeah, it’s possible her recollection is accurate, But I’m skeptical. I’ve seen far too many offensive shirt confrontations for me to buy this account. This guy happened to be wearing a humor t-shirt and picks fight with our innocent victim magically knowing she’s a single mom? Not buying it. There’s no shortage of politically active 20-somethings looking to be offended so they can start a moral lecture.

“This guy happened to be wearing a humor t-shirt and picks fight with our innocent victim magically knowing she’s a single mom?”

Quote from original post:

“The guy and his friend saw me reading it and asked what my problem was. I replied that my mother was a single mom for 9+ years and I simply found his shirt disgusting.

E., your reading comprehension sucks.

6. S.

I just ordered one of those funny t-shirts – I hope it keeps the PC, feminist, lunatic, everyone’s a victim women like many of the ones on this site far away from me. Thanks.